Re: [RP] Really the same thread.

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [RP] Really the same thread.
Date: Sat Dec 20 03:57:01 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 07:42:37AM -0500, Joshua Neuheisel wrote:

| This has nothing to do with 'fork' per se, but rather all system calls.
[...]

At risk of bringing this back to the original topic (lsheads in
ratpoison or not):

] But it would only work with ratpoison.  This is why I want separate
] keybinders, separate menus, separate minibuffers.
]
] The counterargument is, of course, the overhead of forking et al.
] --Trent of the Pick-n-mix Unix.

The /real/ counterargument is that lsheads is (a) trivial to integrate
into ratpoison, and orthogonal to what we currently have with frames[1];
and (b) allows you to find out what the currently selected head is
(which could be useful for scripting) along with any other RP-specific
data about that head.  (Such data may not exist yet, but could at some
point.)

BTW is it just me, or is tmpwm broken?  When I use it, ratpoison doesn't
come back properly after the other wm exits.  From .xsession-errors:

        ratpoison: There can be only ONE.
        The application 'gnome-settings-daemon' lost its connection to the
display :0.0;
        most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
        the application.
        xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
        xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
        xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
        Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
        xscreensaver: Can't open display: :0
        xscreensaver: running as cameron/cameron (1000/1000)

Cameron.

[1] Hmm, we could also have screen{up,down,left,right,other} for
consistency?  Might be useful for people with more than three heads. ;-)