Re: [RP] trying to use THE RATPOISON better

From: Trent Buck
Subject: Re: [RP] trying to use THE RATPOISON better
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:10:16 +1100

Up spake Robert Lorentz:
> First of all, is there a way to have these load up by default when I
> start ratpoison?

You can add them to the start of your .xinitrc or .Xsession file, like
unclutter in the example at the top of
  http://ratpoison.elektrubadur.se/xfree86

...or you could simply add an 'exec foo' line to your .ratpoisonrc.

> I could exec the 3, but they have significantly
> differently load times so they don't end up in that order... I'm looking
> for something like 'exec xmms and make it reside in frame 2'.  Does this
> exist?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: No, because doing so would probably require fundamental
changes to X (the windowing system).  There are various tricks to make
it kinda work, but they're ugly.  Look at IceWM, GNOME, KDE,
freedesktop.org and the ICCCM and NETWM specifications for gritty
details.

Actually, there might be hope for this.  Once upon a time transparent
windows were `faked up' really badly; now some X servers support
variable-opacity windows.

Long Long answer: Hm, I thought there was an item in
http://ratpoison.elektrubadur.se/Feature_Requests, but apparently not.
Would you care to add one?

> Secondly, sometimes I screw things up and I end up with frame 0 having a
> term in it or whatever, so firefox will load up on a frame 'later down
> the line' like frame 5 or something.  Since I always have a lot of tabs
> open, its a hassle to close firefox just to reopen it in another frame.
> Is there a way to force moving an app from one frame to another?

Oh gods, yes.  Here's one method (untested)

  1. Select the window (C-t ' firefox ENTER) or :cnext.

  2. Unmap the window (C-t -).

  3. Select the destination frame (C-t : fselect ENTER) or :focusDIRECTION.

  4. Select the window (C-t ' firefox ENTER) or :cnext.

I also like the :swap command.  You'll need to define it in your
.ratpoisonrc OR patch the source.
  http://ratpoison.elektrubadur.se/Swap_Windows

--
-trent
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image,  when