Re: [RP] trying to use THE RATPOISON better

From: Trent Buck
Subject: Re: [RP] trying to use THE RATPOISON better
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:53:05 +1100

Up spake Kevin Geiss:
> xtoolwait spawns the client, waits until the client maps a window, then
> exits. this has the effect of 'pausing' the execution of your .xinitrc
> until that client pops up! very handy.

You missed the clever bit, which is to say

        ratpoison &
        WAITPID=$$

        # execute stuff *after* the WM has started

        wait $WAITPID

I've never seen this technique before.  Thanks.

> Unfortunately, I use a lot of dockapps which confuse xtoolwait since
> they enter the 'withdrawn' state. so I can only use xtoolwait with
> xterm, xload, and a few other of my clients. I wrote a script to
> restore all my clients to their proper places too. hopefully there is
> enough detail on my page. let me know if you have questions or if I
> messed up a link.

What would be *really* cool would be the ability to pass something like
this to ratpoison:

; list of pairs of the form (predicate . destination-frame).
(((lambda (window)
    (equal? (window-class window) "firefox")) . 0)
 ((lambda (window)
    (and (equal? (window-class window) "xmms")
         (equal? (window-instance window) "equalizer"))) . 1)
 ((lambda (window)
    (contains? "irssi" (window-title window))) . 2)
 (t . 3))

--
-trent
Lusers are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but it's fun to