Re: [RP] trying to use THE RATPOISON better

From: Kevin Geiss
Subject: Re: [RP] trying to use THE RATPOISON better
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:09:56 -0700

On Jan 20, 2005, at 8:00 AM, Robert Lorentz wrote:
I have searched the wiki and documentation trying to find a feature, perhaps someone can tell me if it exists or not. I really like having firefox running in frame 0, irssi in frame 1, and xmms in frame 2, which kind of leads to this..

First of all, is there a way to have these load up by default when I start ratpoison? I could exec the 3, but they have significantly differently load times so they don't end up in that order... I'm looking for something like 'exec xmms and make it reside in frame 2'. Does this exist?

it becomes a matter of timing, but there is a program called 'xtoolwait' which can really help out on this.

http://www.hacom.nl/~richard/software/xtoolwait.html

you would use it in your .xinitrc like this:

# restore your 3 frames using 'frestore'
ratpoison -c "frestore `cat yourframefile`"
ratpoison -c 'fselect 0'
xtoolwait firefox
ratpoison -c 'fselect 1'
xtoolwait irssi
ratpoison -c 'fselect 2'
xtoolwait xmms

note that I DON'T have '&' at the end of any lines.

xtoolwait spawns the client, waits until the client maps a window, then exits. this has the effect of 'pausing' the execution of your .xinitrc until that client pops up! very handy.

also, check out my page:

http://www.desertsol.com/~kevin/ratpoison

I use a complicated setup with lots of clients which start up. unfortunately, I use a lot of dockapps which confuse xtoolwait since they enter the 'withdrawn' state. so I can only use xtoolwait with xterm, xload, and a few other of my clients. I wrote a script to restore all my clients to their proper places too. hopefully there is enough detail on my page. let me know if you have questions or if I messed up a link.