Re: re[5]: [rdiff-backup-users] Still thinking about windows

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: re[5]: [rdiff-backup-users] Still thinking about windows
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:52:05 -0800

  GF> I'm going to give it a shot.

  GF> Expect questions. :)

Cool, good luck.

  GF> 1) How do you like to get patches?  diff -u

Yes, that's fine.

  GF> Once I get to know python a little bit, maybe I can get cvs
  GF> read/write access.

Sounds reasonable.

  GF> 2) I tried sys.platform on the 3 python platforms I have.  I got

  GF>    win32 cygwin linux2

  GF> I would like to get rid of the --windows-mode flag and just set
  GF> it automatically if sys.platform is win32 or cygwin.

  GF> Does that make sense?

One problem may be that whether --windows-mode would be required is a
function of the file system and not the platform.  For instance
someone mounting an NT file system under linux would still want to use
--windows-mode although platform would still be 'linux2'.  (Is the
reverse case possible, or can windows only read windows file systems?
Maybe over NFS?)  I don't know of any way of figuring out what the
file system is, although maybe there is one.

At least sys.platform could be used to set the default, although
--windows-mode may still be necessary.

--
Ben Escoto