Re: re[5]: [rdiff-backup-users] Still thinking about windows

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: re[5]: [rdiff-backup-users] Still thinking about windows
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:26:58 -0800

  BE> One problem may be that whether --windows-mode would be required
  BE> is a function of the file system and not the platform.  For
  BE> instance someone mounting an NT file system under linux would
  BE> still want to use --windows-mode although platform would still
  BE> be 'linux2'.  (Is the reverse case possible, or can windows only
  BE> read windows file systems?  Maybe over NFS?)  I don't know of
  BE> any way of figuring out what the file system is, although maybe
  BE> there is one.

Maybe this would take too much work, but I just realized another
possibility is for rdiff-backup to do various tests on the destination
and/or source directory (e.g. seeing if it supports acls, eas, case
sensitive filenames, colons in the filenames, etc.).  This would only
need to be done the first time since the information could be recorded
in a file in the rdiff-backup-data and just read from that for later
backups.

--
Ben Escoto