Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup

From: Nicolas Jungers
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 08:41:44 +0200

On 2015-04-08 23:33, Ricky Huang wrote:
Hello all,

My friend recommend rdiff-backup so I am currently researching it for my
backup solution.  I am brand new to the system so please forgive me for
any dumb questions.

What I am looking for is a FreeBSD backup solution that will duplicate
my multiple mission-critical servers to a remote system in case
something goes bad.  In case something bad does happen, I’d like to
invoke a command and be able to restore the entire system back, not
having to do a rebuild then copy files back as that will have a longer
downtime.

Is rdiff-backup the correct solution for my use case?  If so, does
anyone have any information on whole-system level backup examples /
documentations?  I have read documentations on the site already, but
they mostly talk about directories.  I am sure there are caveats when
one’s backing up complete system.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sure that you could devise some scheme to do a full metal restore with rdiff-backup, but in my opinion, it's not the tool for the job.

Regards,
N.