Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 14:32:03 +0100

Hi all,

I have done bare metal restores with duplicity (same author, different tech).
My previous job used this as the main emergency recovery mechanism. I believe
that rdiff-backup would work just as well. You'll need to sort the comms
between client and server (e.g. Ssh keys and firewalls), handle databases and
other files being modified during the backup, and test it of course!

Taking LVM snapshots is a very different approach, relatively fast and low
impact but requires a lot of storage and bandwidth (no diffs). In the case of
bare metal, where you normally only need one backup and often keep large disks
on the same site (depending on your threat model) it could also be a good
solution for you.

Cheers, Chris.

Sent from my iPhone