Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup

From: Matt Taggart
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 11:29:42 -0700

address@hidden writes:
> On Thursday, April 09, 2015 02:41:44 AM you wrote:
> > I'm sure that you could devise some scheme to do a full metal restore
> > with rdiff-backup, but in my opinion, it's not the tool for the job.

> Not the OP, but what do you recommend (in the LInux world, please, as that is
> what I use...)?

My knowledge is possibly old, but it's still working for me. Maybe others
can point out if there are newer solutions to this problem.

A really long time ago there was a project that did this

http://systemimager.org/

It could boot via CD, USB, or network and then it could repartition the
(possibly new) disks and copy the data over from a server. It was also
smart about settings can you could create a master image and deploy it
across a bunch of systems and it could automatically adjust hostname,
network settings, etc. It was nice, but doing all that required distro
specific code and it's no longer maintained. I would be interested to learn
of anything modern and similar.

There are also ways of doing automated installs, in Debian based distros
it's "debian-installer preseeding" and in Fedora based it's "kickstart".
Those can automate the install process and give you a repeatable fresh
install (which isn't the same as what you asked for). Then you could
restore data to the system from backups or deploy it via a configuration
management tools like puppet/chef/etc. That is still not what you are
asking for as it wouldn't capture edits you had made to the system that
weren't backed up or weren't in the config management tool. But sometimes
that's a good thing, it allows you to leave cruft behind.

One way of getting what you are asking for is taking raw images of the
partitions or whole disk. You can boot the system via CD/USB/Network (so
that you aren't changing the drives you are trying to copy) and then use
ddrescue to make an image of the drive and then copy it to another drive or
over the network (with netcat or something). There might be automated tools
for doing this. I know there are proprietary tools for doing it but I
haven't used them.

--
Matt Taggart
address@hidden