Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup

From: Ricky Huang
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 15:05:09 -0700

On Apr 9, 2015, at 6:32 AM, Chris Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi all,

I have done bare metal restores with duplicity (same author, different tech). My previous job used this as the main emergency recovery mechanism. I believe that rdiff-backup would work just as well. You'll need to sort the comms between client and server (e.g. Ssh keys and firewalls), handle databases and other files being modified during the backup, and test it of course!

Thank you, I will look into duplicity.

Taking LVM snapshots is a very different approach, relatively fast and low impact but requires a lot of storage and bandwidth (no diffs). In the case of bare metal, where you normally only need one backup and often keep large disks on the same site (depending on your threat model) it could also be a good solution for you.

Cheers, Chris.

Sent from my iPhone