Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Examples for whole-system backup
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 08:58:36 -0500

On 04/09/2015 01:41 AM, Nicolas Jungers wrote:
I'm sure that you could devise some scheme to do a full metal restore
with rdiff-backup, but in my opinion, it's not the tool for the job.

If you back up the whole system, you get to restore the whole system.
It's not an automated one-click "restore and go" solution, since at a
minimum you have to manually re-create your partitioning/ LVM/encryption
structure, create your filesystems, set up your mount point directories,
and re-install the boot loader, but it will do the heavy work.

It's what I've been using, and I always try a bare-metal restore on a
new system to see what issues I run into.

                Do NOT delete it.