rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] Modifying the current anaconda--progress update

From: Bill Crawford
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] Modifying the current anaconda--progress update
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 16:35:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Chuck Moss wrote:

> As Wade mentioned in a later message the install does use some files
> provided from the CD or network.
> On the CD in RedHat/base are the following files:
>
> comps - 20k list of packages in groups
>
> hdlist - 1.7 MB compressed ~7 MB in ram,  RPM descriptions, some file
> information, and such
>
> hdlist2 - 13 MB  compressed? ? MB in ram,

 Here's the problem.  I don't think we'll be able to reduce the memory
requirements much unless we can replace this somehow ... my thinking
at the moment is along the lines of creating a single CD with basic
packages on and doing the install from that.  A second disk could be
used to "upgrade" the system or otherwise add packages later, perhaps,
once the initial install is complete.

> hdstg1.img - 6.7 MB stage 1 of installer for install from CD
>
> netstg1.img - 6.9 MB stage 1 of installer for install from network
>
> stage2.img - 49 MB common stage 2 of install

 This is also a big chunk to lose from a 1-200 MB disk, if we really
are aiming to install on such small media (I think we certainly have
to be able to cope with such, although it's been a while since I've
seen anything that tiny.

> If the portions of anaconda we need to patch are on the CD then the
> approach I have suggested won't work and a solution involving the stock CDs
> would be a much bigger project. :(

 I'm afraid it very much looks like a custom CD will be required, but
the actual packages can be the same as on the "real" install CD(s).

> I have appended a list of the RPMS that are in the base install.
> I think we would need to add networking and ssh for the machine to be at
> all useful.  A non-graphic minimal desktop would be somewhat boring without
> the networking capability.
>
> Chuck
> List of base packages:
>

>   MAKEDEV               grub                    passwd
>   SysVinit              gzip                    pciutils
>   anacron               hdparm                  pcre
>   apmd                          hotplug                 popt
>   ash                   lilo                    procmail
>   at                    indexhtml               procps
>   authconfig            info                    psmisc
>   basesystem            initscripts             pwdb
>   bash                          ipchains                quota
>   bdflush               iproute                 raidtools
>   bzip2                 iputils                 readline
>   bzip2-libs            iptables                redhat-logos
>   chkconfig             console-tools           redhat-release
>   cpio                          kbdconfig               reiserfs-utils
>   cracklib              kernel                  rootfiles
>   cracklib-dicts        ksymoops                rpm
>   crontabs              krb5-libs               specspo
>   cyrus-sasl            kudzu                   sed
>   cyrus-sasl-md5        less                    sendmail
>   cyrus-sasl-plain      libstdc++               setserial
>   cyrus-sasl-md5        libtermcap              setup
>   db1                   logrotate               setuptool
>   db2                   lokkit                  sh-utils
>   db3                   losetup                 shadow-utils
>   dev                   mailcap                 slang
>   dhcpcd                mailx                   slocate
>   diffutils             man                     syslinux
>   dosfstools            mingetty                sysklogd
>   e2fsprogs             mkbootdisk              tar
>   ed                    mkinitrd                tcsh
>   eject                         mktemp                  termcap
>   file                          modutils                textutils
>   filesystem            mount                   time
>   fileutils             mouseconfig             timeconfig
>   findutils             ncurses                 tmpwatch
>   gawk                          netconfig               utempter
>   gdbm                          net-tools               util-linux
>   glib                          newt                    vim-common
>   glibc                         ntsysv                  vim-minimal
>   glibc-common                  openldap                vixie-cron
>   gpm                   openssl                 which
>   grep                          pam                     words
>   groff                         parted                  zlib

 Seems to me that even some of these are superfluous; apmd isn't much
use on very old systems, and unless hardware changes are going to be
common, kudzu might be unnecessary.  I'm thinking too that dhcpcd and
so on might be doable-without.  And for 486-class machines surely we
don't need hotplug ?

 Oh, and redhat-logos can go (to be replaced with grass-snake-icons or
something :o)

--
Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: address@hidden, home: address@hidden