Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] help-grub and bug-grub

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] help-grub and bug-grub
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:07:41 -0700

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
> > With address@hidden we didn't have any problem with spam, since it's
> > subscriber-only.  If help-grub is made subscriber-only as well, we can
> > avoid the spam too.

It would certainly be inconvenient to users if they needed to
subscribe in order to post bug reports.

> I think, bug-* and help-* have been traditionally open to
> non-subscribers.

You are correct.  Traditionally those have been open to
non-subscribers.  This makes it easy for users to submit bug reports.
Submitting bug reports has always been encouraged.  The boilerplate
documentation asks users to submit bug reports to the bug-*
addresses.

I think if a user needed to subscribe the number of users that would
actually subscribe to send in bug reports would be dramatically
reduced.  I doubt if *I* would subscribe to post a bug report.

> As far as I see, Information For Maintainers of GNU Software does
> not mention any rule about how open contacts should be. So I guess
> it is acceptable to make the list writable only for subscribers,
> although it would be surely inconvenient for the user who just wants
> to ask one question.

I think it would be unfortunate if bug-grub were different from the
other bug-* mailing lists and required subscription to post.  I
strongly recommend going with the flow and doing the same thing that
the other bug-* mailing lists are doing.

Bob