Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] help-grub and bug-grub

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] help-grub and bug-grub
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:11:59 -0700

Robert Millan wrote:
> Karl Berry wrote:
> >     We moderate non-subscriber email.
> >
> > That is, "we", meaning a small group of volunteers of whom Bob and I are
> > two, are willing to moderate non-subscriber email to any GNU lists for
> > which there is no one else willing.  (We already handle dozens.)  If you
> > want us to help with help-grub, just say the word and I will add
> > address@hidden as a moderator.
>
> Hi Karl,
>
> I do really appreciate your efforts, although I still think it's a bad
> approach at dealing with spam.  May I suggest you accept mail from non
> subscribers, but only when it comes in an envelope with traceable domain
> name (and that domain isn't RHBLed)?

That would simply be great!  Actually a number of people have
suggested some really good things that would help reduce spam.  I have
been doing something similar to what you describe on my site and I
agree it can really help.

Unfortunately we are constrained by the current abilities of the
Mailman implementation as it exists on gnu.org.  To the best of my
knowledge Mailman on gnu.org does not have any of this capability.  I
would be extremely happy if you were to educate me otherwise.  We have
been trying to make the best of things.  It is a compromise at best.

> I've been doing that for years, and it's very reliable.  Of course, there's
> yet the people who insist on their envelopes being untraceable, but they
> aren't many and it's up to you how to handle them.

I don't think anyone is in disagreement with you.  That is not the
issue here.  The only problem is actually doing it since we are
constrained by the current mailing list manager implementation of
Mailman on gnu.org.

Bob