[Savannah-hackers] Re: sf versus savannah

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: sf versus savannah
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:16:37 +0200

 > ok, that makes sense. right now i am looking into phpgw, from the first
 > glance
 > it seems to me that they have implemented a lot features SF also provides.
 > have you made any contact to the phpGW people?

        Yes, I know Dan Kuykendal.

 > :) that was also my impression. so lets focus on porting the SF
 > specific features to phpGW. do you have anything in a written form,
 > or is it all in your mind ?

        All in my mind. I was thinking of doing it incrementaly, not all
at once. It would go as follows:

        . Define an export format (XML based) for the core data (this
          is the goal of coopx.eu.org) i.e. persmission, projects,
          users.

        . Create an alternate database

        . Dump Savannah to file using the format

        . Load into phpgroupware from this format

        . Test/try that users are here, registered in projects, that
          permissions can be changed, user added, projects
          added. Arrange the layout of the phpgroupware powered
          application to look exactly like Savannah.

        . Dump phpgroupware application using this format

        . Load in Savannah from this format

        . Check that nothing was lost

        At that point we are able to do the following :

        - user/permissions are handled by phpgroupware application
        - every 5 minutes the database is dumped/loaded in Savannah
        - all applications (task lists etc.) stay on Savannah

But the machine is big and it can take it.

        When this is done a problems are fixed (two/three
weeks). Start the migration of one application (task list for instance
?). And do each application one after the other until there are none left.

        How does it sound ?