[Savannah-hackers] Re: sf versus savannah

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: sf versus savannah
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:03:54 +0200

Marcel Hild writes:
 > hi,
 >  i'm from the software team from ex-id-pro (maybe you know the name, our
 >  ex ceo now runs alcove germany). i am now a freelancer. as a part of my
 >  work i sometimes (maybe often) install a company sourceforge (or on-site
 >  sourceforge, as the VA guys would call it.
 >
 >  we have made several extensions to sf2.0 that are extremely usefull for
 >  managing support in a company. now i am planning to merge these to,
 >  well, either savannah or sourceforge.
 >
 >  what are the plans for savannah ? will it be used just for gnu-internal
 >  stuff or do you plan to make it a standalone project and therefor
 >  a competitor to sourceforge?

        Those extensions could be really useful. I sincerly doubt you'll
find sourceforge responsive on this subject but you should try. The plan
for Savannah is to move away from the completly custom code intermixed
with HTML. In order to achieve this I figure the best way would be to
progressively migrate to use phpGroupWare. Nothing has been undertaken
yet. The ultimate goal is to have a proper software (upgradable + installable)
that provides the functionalities of Savannah or SourceForge. I still have
the remote hope that the SourceForge crew realize that it's a goal worth
to achieve, at some point. This is much too unlikely to really count on it,
though ;-)

        Cheers,