Re: [Savannah-hackers] Vesta for savannah?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Vesta for savannah?
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:42:05 +0200

 > Vesta has somewhat of a high learning curve, but maybe will work for us.
 > What do you all think?

        As always it is a matter of finding someone willing to deal
with long term maintenance + support.

        For instance, CVS + viewcvs are the most maintenance + support
consuming resources offered on Savannah. In average I'd say that Jaime
Villate and myself spend 3 hours a week (each of us) dealing with
it. Of course there are weeks where nothing needs to be done.  But
there also are weeks when I spend a full working day on it. For
instance, in the past two weeks I integrated a patch provided by
Laurent Julliard, spent some time testing it and monitored the
activity to ensure no ill side effect occurs. I also had to move the
CVS repository on a different partition to save I/O bandwidth and cope
with a partition filling up.  I also had to develop smarter scripts to
deal with cvs backups so that cvs trees are not walked entirely for
the sole purpose of figuring out if a file was updated. As a result
the load average (http://subversions.gnu.org/mrtg/loadavg.html) is now
back to normal. And, of course, learning CVS in order to maintain it
for savannah.gnu.org required quite a lot of time. I'm sure you see
what I mean ;-)

        At present, I'm under the impression that savannah hackers do
well. The services are properly watched over, users requests are taken
care of on a timely basis, problems are handled before they become
critical.  On top of this each savannah hackers devote some time to
improve the service and add new functionalities (Laurent Julliard and
Mathieu Roy being the most active on this front since the beginning of
the year).

        I hope I made clear that we are indeed willing to add new
services to Savannah but that it requires to have both a sofware and
a new volunteer willing to deal with it.

        Thanks for your understanding,