Re: [Savannah-hackers] Vesta for savannah?

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Vesta for savannah?
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 09:03:53 -0400

I understand your concerns.  Please don't let my request seem like I am
not happy with savannah as it is---in fact, I think it is one of the
crown jewels of the GNU project.  And, as such, I am always looking for
ways to make those jewels shine even more.

I see your points completely; thanks for putting the time in to keep it
running.

It sounds like the next step for me is making the case to the vesta
developers that it behooves them to offer their time to integrate vesta
with savannah.  They want vesta to be adopted because they believe it is
technically a much better model (and they have a point, too).  I will
make the case to them that integrating with savannah is a great way to
get people to adopt their technologically superior model.

Meanwhile, this might become a pet project for me personally.  Back in
the days before I was a saint in the Church of Emacs, I worked with
Atria's ClearCase.  It was a nice system (albeit proprietary).  Vesta is
very close in functional spec to ClearCase, and I would love to see it
adopted personally.

I need something to package for Debian to become a developer, and Vesta
seems challenging enough a packaging job to be fun and not mundane.  I am
seriously considering clearing my weekend schedules in a month or two to
do that.

Once it's in Debian, I will then approach the Vesta people with my idea.

Meanwhile, do you all think, as the savannah experts, you could provide
lateral support for the Vesta developers if they choose to do some
integration work?

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942