Re: [Savannah-hackers] Free Curriculum Project

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Free Curriculum Project
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:53:36 +0000

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 06:22:19AM -0700, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> I understand.  I could re-apply for a sub-project just encompassing my
> initial course, which is a High School-level introductory CS course.
>
> Of course Savannah doesn't owe me anything, but this will leave me looking
> for resources to manage the much larger overall project.
>
> Is there a document outlining Savannah's goals?  Clearly something like
> the FCP is beyond the FSF's goals, but the existence of
> savannah.nongnu.org indicates to me that there is some level of support
> for projects that aren't directly within the FSF mandate . . .

We do not have a document just to state Savannah's goals, but we insist in
various places that Savannah (which extends to both savannah.gnu.org and
savannah.nongnu.org) host only software projects and software documentation
projects. This does not have to do with any deep believes or any mandates, but
just with the practical fact that we are a very small number of volunteers
running this service, and our expertise is just in the field of software.

On the other hand, I think your project might interest the FSF and if they
accept to sponsor it, it will be automatically hosted in
Savannah. Other non-software projects are being sponsored by the FSF. I advise
you to get in touch directly with Richard Stallman (address@hidden) and tell him
about your project.

Cheers,
Jaime