Re: [Savannah-hackers] Free Curriculum Project

From: Peter Hutnick
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Free Curriculum Project
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:22:19 -0700 (MST)

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:07:59PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>> I cannot find out clearly what is be the goal of the project. To me
>> curriculum means course of honnors ; in general, a list of tasks to
>> complete in a particular order to get a special rank in a society. I
>> do not get how it can be "implemented".
>
> What he means by curriculum (correct me Peter if I'm wrong) is the set
> of lecture notes and written material to support the lessons given at a
> School.

Right.

> It is a documentation project, although it is somehow out of the
> scope of Savannah, unless that curriculum has to do with teaching
> computing using free software. For instance, a book on biology would not
> fit in Savannah (even if it has a free documentation license) but a book
> on Python programmang would fit perfectly.

I understand.  I could re-apply for a sub-project just encompassing my
initial course, which is a High School-level introductory CS course.

Of course Savannah doesn't owe me anything, but this will leave me looking
for resources to manage the much larger overall project.

Is there a document outlining Savannah's goals?  Clearly something like
the FCP is beyond the FSF's goals, but the existence of
savannah.nongnu.org indicates to me that there is some level of support
for projects that aren't directly within the FSF mandate . . .

Please advise.

-Peter