[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Params::Validate - savannah.nongnu

From: Dave Rolsky
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Params::Validate - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:28:07 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> > Yeesh, this is a PITA.  It would've been much easier to just register the
> > project and add it to the CVS repository on Savannah.  Requiring to make
> > another release seems a bit excessively beauracratic.
>
> It may seems so. We are volunteers and cannot spend time to check if
> people really make what they told at registration step. While usually
> people make so, they are still people that write things whithout giving
> a toss about and so it requires us to re-check projects after
> registration. And its too much extra-work for us.
>
> So our policy is to accept project only when all requirement (well, we
> have few requirements in fact - only legal issues and freedom sake)
> are met.
>
> Hope you will understand our position,

I do understand your position but ...

Realistically, let's consider the case where people are asked to do
something like the above (which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do,
BTW.  I have no problems with it).  The number of people who will say
"yes, I will do it" and then _deliberately_ do not do it is going to be
vanishingly small.  I'd suggest that number will be zero.  Nobody needs to
defraud Savannah, since they can go use Sourceforge more easily.

The number of people who forget to do it will be bigger, but probably not
too big.

Also, another possibility would be to write some code that checks out each
project and scans each source file for a copyright statement.

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com