[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Params::Validate - savannah.nongnu

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Params::Validate - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 14 Jan 2003 19:15:36 +0100

Dave Rolsky <address@hidden> said:
> > So our policy is to accept project only when all requirement (well, we
> > have few requirements in fact - only legal issues and freedom sake)
> > are met.
> >
> > Hope you will understand our position,
>
> I do understand your position but ...
>
> Realistically, let's consider the case where people are asked to do
> something like the above (which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do,
> BTW.  I have no problems with it).  The number of people who will say
> "yes, I will do it" and then _deliberately_ do not do it is going to be
> vanishingly small.  I'd suggest that number will be zero.  Nobody needs to
> defraud Savannah, since they can go use Sourceforge more easily.
>
> The number of people who forget to do it will be bigger, but probably not
> too big.
>
> Also, another possibility would be to write some code that checks out each
> project and scans each source file for a copyright statement.

It's an interesting proposal but I'm personally relatively fine with
the fact that we really discard registration while our requirements
are not met:

        - requirements are specified and people _must_ read them
        while they submit a project
        - if finally when the project registration is in our mailbox,
        requirement are not met, it means that the previous text has
        not been read.
        - it's a chance for us to emphase the fact we really care
        about what we wrote, and text shown in the registration page
        are not here just for fun.

My personal experience leads me to think that people care less of
their tools when they get them "for free". I think better to tell
people they can get rights if they respect obligations. They can get a
service if they are willing to respect simple rules from the start.

It can appear very bureaucratic to good-willing people like you, but I
think it helps a lot to deal people that do not fit this
description.

But we added the basic re-registration link to avoid making of this
procedure a real pain. And in specials cases, it already happened that
one of the savannah-hackers accepted a registration to people saying
"yes, I will do it", after discussion.