Re: [savannah-help-public] GAP project CVS -> SVN migration

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] GAP project CVS -> SVN migration
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 01:48:30 +0100

Hi Karl,

On 02/08/14 00:57, Karl Berry wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

     I'd like to migrate the GAP project repository from CVS to SVN,

It would be best if you could run cvs2svn yourself, and provide us with
an svn dump, which we can easily import.  There are some notes about it
on the wiki:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/CvSToSvN
(and then http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/SvnImportExistingRepo)

And of course there are plenty of other notes about cvs2svn around on
the net.  When I converted texinfo from cvs to svn, it "just worked".
(I was amazed. :)
Fine, it took me a bit, the guide is slighty outdated. I had issues with default encoding, but eventually managed to do 0) wrote to the GAP developer mailing list do refrain from committing to cvs (!) 1) a single pass of cvs2svn (2.x, so I did not do anything to filetype conversion, kept it binary, but otherwise copied the options)
2) dumped it as prescribed and compressed it with bzip
3) uploaded it in download/gap as gap-svn.bz2, it should be around 25M
4) enabled SVN for GAP

if everything works fine, I'd expect to find a repo called "gap" with user-apps, system-apps and such stuff inside. Please let me know! I hope everything goes fine. A good question, except looking at the layout and checking some files, how will I know? Build everything and hope nothing corrupted?

Let me know when you imported it!

     [1] Actually there were two wrong commits which could be skipped to
     give a cleaner layout.

I wouldn't advise going down that road.
I refrained from that, perhaps it can be handled later.

Riccardo

---
GNUstep maintainer and Application developer