Re: [savannah-help-public] GAP project CVS -> SVN migration

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] GAP project CVS -> SVN migration
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 13:11:29 -0700

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> > Let me know when you imported it!
>
> I will write again when the import is completed.

The import has completed after 92 minutes for 2642 revisions.  However
there is one extra directory level present in the svn that isn't
present in the cvs.  I think you will want to fix that before using
it.  It is easier to do now than later.

Let me know when/if you fix the extra directory level and I will
import it again. :-)

> I hope everything goes fine. A good question, except looking at the
> layout and checking some files, how will I know? Build everything
> and hope nothing corrupted?

You can diff the resulting working copies.  Something like this:

  mkdir /tmp/compare
  cd /tmp/compare
  mkdir cvs
  cd cvs
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/gap co gap
  cd ..
  mkdir svn
  cd svn
  svn co svn://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/gap/trunk gap
  cd ..
  diff -r --brief --exclude .svn --exclude CVS cvs svn

I see that your svn import has this directory structure:

  gap/ChangeLog
  gap/LoginApplication.m
  gap/gap
  gap/gap/GNUmakefile
  gap/gap/GNUmakefile.postamble
  gap/gap/GNUmakefile.preamble
  gap/gap/bundles/
  gap/gap/libs/
  gap/gap/ported-apps/
  gap/gap/system-apps/
  gap/gap/user-apps/

I think you created one more gap directory than you wanted to create.
If you would like to fix that and put a new gap-svn.bz2 file there I
would be happy to import it again.  If it were me I would fix that so
that the directory structure is correct.  It is easier to do now than
later.

If I diff at the same level of directory then I think I only find
directories that were removed in cvs but the cvs side must keep the
empty directory around to support the Attic.

  diff -r --brief --exclude .svn --exclude CVS cvs/gap svn/gap/gap

So I think all else about the import is okay.  It would be good if you
were to review it since you are familiar with the project and will
know for certain.

Bob