[Simulavr-devel] asm and --gstabs

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] asm and --gstabs
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 22:03:31 -0700 (MST)

I think I see where our problem is. Here's my theory:

Scott is taking a single asm file, assembling into an object file, then
linking the object file into his rom image. The linker will relocate the
asm object file and the addresses will be filled in.

In my case, I have a single asm file which is the entire rom image. No
linking is done, thus my symbol table in the object file (rom image) has
not been relocated and all the addresses are zero.

Now to test my theory:

Scott, can you do this:
  avr-objdump --stabs os_cpu_a.o
  avr-objdump --stabs rom.elf
If I'm right, you should have n_value's of 0 for SLINE's in the os_cpu_a.o
dump and actual addresses for the relocated os_cpu_a.o part of rom.elf.

I'm trying to test the theory myself by taking doing this:

address@hidden test_8515]$   avr-gcc -mmcu=at90s8515 -Wa,--gstabs
-Wa,-ahl=foo.lst -c test_blink.S
address@hidden test_8515]$   avr-gcc -mmcu=at90s8515 -o blink test_blink.o
/home/troth/local/avr/lib/gcc-lib/avr/3.0.2/../../../../avr/lib/crts8515.o: In
function `__c_startup__':
gcrt1.S:207: undefined reference to `main'
test_blink.o:test_blink.S:15: undefined reference to `MAIN'

How do tell the link not to link to a crt file and only build the rom
image with symbol table relocated? I think I've seen this question posed
on the avr-gcc-list, but have never seen an answer.

Ted