Re: [Simulavr-devel] Docu patches

From: reinhard . jessich
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Docu patches
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:41:27 +0100

On Fri, 04 Jan 2002, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, address@hidden wrote:

<snip>

> Also, ${srcdir}/src/stamp-h.in is not doing quite what you think it is.
> ${srcdir} changes depending on which directory (in the build dirs) you are
> in. If you're in build-sim/src, then $srcdir will be
> ../../simulavr-$ver/src and you would end up with
> ../../simulavr-$ver/src/src/stamp-h.in. I think $srcdir should be replaced
> with $top_srcdir. (see "Preset Output Variables" section of autoconf
> manual)
>
> One last note, the autoconf manual section for "Automatic Remaking"
> suggests adding 'echo timestamp > stamp-h' to the extra-cmds. Why are you
> using stamp-h.in?
Because I haven't read the manual well enough and because it solved the
problem. I think I had a look to the generated Makefile.

I think moving the acconfig.h file to the top directory is THE solution.

<snip>

> Try the 13-pre2 patch. If you can still get the build to fail, I'll add
> the AC_OUTPUT extra-cmds back in. I was unable to get a build to fail
> after moving the acconfig.h file.
I have tested it and it worked well. But the new configure options aren't in.
So I ran bootstrap. Then all worked as expected, but I couldn't "make dist".
I have fiexed all necessary things to make "make dist" and "make distcheck"
running.

Attached you will find the patch. After applying the patch, don't forget to run
bootstrap first.

After configure, I have done the following tests:

make
make install
make uninstall
make dist
make distcheck -> I have also checked all the make targets with the package

I think now the build system is ready and stable.

> I hope you don't feel I'm being stubborn here. I'm just trying to clarify
> something I think neither of us completely understands. I don't want a
> broken build system, but I also don't want to have to the build system be
> any more complicated than it needs to be. It might already be too
> complicated for all I know.
I am still highly motivated to work on this project. As you see from my
previous mails I spend a lot of time to write in a foreign language and make
things clear.

> Please continue to tell me when you think I'm wrong (or even when I _am_
> wrong), it forces me to think about things more carefully to try to
> justify myself or see the evil of my ways. ;)
You were right to remove unnecessary things. I would have done it also.

Regards,
   Reinhard

--
 Ing. Reinhard Jessich              mailto: address@hidden
 A-1190 Vienna, Goergengasse 2/2/1  phone: +43/1/3692600