[Simulavr-devel] New to the list

From: Johan Karel Maria Dams
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] New to the list
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:48:21 +0300 (EEST)

Hello all.

I recently found simulavr when looking for a solution to give our students the possibility to work at home programming Atmel, without using the actual hardware. We use Atmels mostly in our Robotics project (e.g. RoboSoccer, Team Botnia 3rd place last year at the Open German Competition).

I must say I'm impressed with the software. I've used mostly the older simulavr for reasons such as being able to use simulavr-disp, as most of our students log in trough ssh from a windows platform, unable to open any GUI. In combination with GDB, this makes a very good and usable teaching/learning environment.

Simulavrxx looks nice, but for some reason the 'info io-registers' command from GDB does not work.(not implemented yet, or a mistake on my side?) As said before, the missing simulavr-disp option is the biggest disadvantage
for our purpose.

One more thing: it seems the latest .tar.gz (v0.1.2.2) from simulavr (not simulavrxx) has the code for inputting data (using PINB for example) disabled
in main.c
Also, it seems, the older archives (v 0.1.2.1 and 0.1.2) are more complete in simulating a full microcontroller (e.g., the newer archive has problems
with timers because these registers seem to be not implemented, while the
older versions do work).

I hope I can help out with the development as soon as I get more familiar with the code of both versions, and time permitting.
Maybe some of our students can work on it for a project or so as well.

Best regards,
Johan Dams
Vaasa Polytechnic
Finland