Re: [Simulavr-devel] New to the list

From: Johan Karel Maria Dams
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] New to the list
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:09:20 +0300 (EEST)

Hello.

Seems not to be a topic which should be discussed here :-)

Agreed :-)

Yes, simply use the gdb interface for that purpose. Then run the
external "disp" application which triggers single step mode and you
have what you want. But the will decrease speed a lot, but if you
want to have a look with disp-tool your eyes will be slower then simulavrxx
:-)

Well, as a teaching tool it would be great. Making sure the students can follow the process :-)

I was planning on adapting simulavrxx for our personal needs and further
develop it. I will not develop the old simulavr further, just using it
now until some issues are resolved.

Can you give us an idea what your "personal needs" for a simulation are?
:-).

Personal needs. Well, I want to use this tool in a 'teaching environment' for our embedded systems courses and our robotics team. Some of the ideas playing in my head right now are to develop simulated external devices (Like LCD's, PWM controllers, etc), make plugins to be able to control the simulator from within LabVIEW, allow the simulator to connect to real life equipment (for use in e.g, distant learning or e-learning in which the students can get read-outs from actual devices with parameters that can be changed on the fly in the simulator). A nice thing in this last example would be for instance, a student in Germany connects to our lab where an array of motors is located. Via a LabVIEW interface, the student would be able to set certain parameters and see the resulting data (e.g. PID, results from encoders, etc.) in almost real time over the net.
There is more where that came from :-)

Furthermore, I want to develop good documentation so students can learn the ins and outs of the simulator and come up with their own projects for e.g., thesis, which will hopefully be beneficial to everyone using the software.

Other things on my mind are the simulations of wireless sensor networks to test scaling ability, real-time operating systems performance testing on small devices, etc. etc. etc.

Hope you like some of these.

Best regards,
Johan