Re: [Simulavr-devel] New to the list

From: Johan Karel Maria Dams
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] New to the list
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:51:09 +0200 (EET)

Hello Klaus,

I first must tell you that we best wheather conditions. Very! warm
and sunny and so nice painted trees around. Best time to switch of all
compuerts now :-)

Lucky you :-) It has been rather cold here (first snow last week) and dark.
We can only hope winter will not be too harsh :-)

Took me a while to reply to your mail due to my hectic shedule...

Character LCD´s are allready implemented, LEDs and switches are also
available for simulation. PC Keyboard is also simulated and "forwarded"
from existing keyboard on you simulation host as 2 pin s(clk/data) to
the simulator. A pwm is not yet done, but is very! simple to implement.
External UARTs are also finished.

Where can I find these 'applications' ?
I would be very interested in seeing this work. I'm sure my students will like it too :-)

Furthermore, I want to develop good documentation so students can learn
the ins and outs of the simulator and come up with their own projects for
e.g., thesis, which will hopefully be beneficial to everyone using the
software.

Thats very great!

Thought so too. Having good documentation is important, but many open source (and commercial) apps lack it. One of the things I teach here is application development, and documentation is a priority. If my students, collegues and I can help on that front, I'm sure others will see the benefit too.

Sounds good, because there is actually no need to change anything inside the
simulation, all I heared is external add on and this makes the simulation a
bit more a plug and play system. I have some gui in mind where
you could connect pins via traces, but actually I could not spend the time
for this. But in tcl/tk this is very easy, nothing real to think about it,
it must "only" done :-)

To make external "devices" like pwms more easy to plugable, we could thing
about a dll/so structure for this purpose. Actually all "external" devices
must compiled in or simulated via the socket interface which makes me not
really happy. So there is maybe a change for the simulator itself. I will
think about this purpose to make it easy to get a large box of external
devices which could also be used on other simulators in the future maybe
:-)

Which is what I had in mind too. Easy to use, expandable, powerfull...
I am sure we could find some students working on a (thesis-) project like that.
In turn we will use the system in our teachings, and improve upon it.

I am very interested in every solution you will think in, so please let me
know your next steps. Have a nice weekend!

I had a nice weekend, thank you. I hope the same to you.
As I said, my schedule is quite busy. I will need to find time to promote this idea with the collegues and students, but seeing our second period just started, many are very busy. I have been showing the software, and many were impressed, so I'm sure it will find project.

Sorry for any spelling/bad sentence construction, just finished 6 hour straight lecturing.

Best regards,
Johan