Re: test result code was Re: [Simulavr-devel] avrtest and simulavr vs si

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: test result code was Re: [Simulavr-devel] avrtest and simulavr vs simulavrxx
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:35:39 -0500

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Joel Sherrill wrote:

This is WAY overkill if all you want is the exit status.

You are right, but you've been asking about what is missing when
comparing it to the old simulavr.  (Also, it's not only the exit
status that was taken that way, but also a message string, and if a
test failed, I usually explored the "core dump" to also verify other
stuff around in the SRAM copy.)
I wasn't saying the core dump wasn't useful or shouldn't
be added.  Only that using it to get exit status from
automated tests and having to parse the output with
a script was way overkill for the job. :)

I think this was the reason avrtest was forked.  They wanted
an easy to use simulator tailored for tools testing.  That fork
is relatively easy to address (I think).
Don't get me wrong, the old simulavr was everything but perfect, and I
don't want to glorify it.  However, given that simulavrxx is already
using the same name of the executable, and given that only very few
things are missing when comparing it to the old one, offering complete
commandline compatibility sounds really nice to me, as in particular
someone calling it from within a script would get a really easy
transition path that way.

If there's a basic agreement to add a -C option to implement a
"compatibility coredump" feature, I'm even willing to develop a patch
for that.

Please do.  I think it is an important feature and added
it to the TODO list in the top directory.
Of course, by the time simulavrxx might be the only remaining
simulator that exists, script writers could adapt their script to use
more modern methods that are only offered by simulavrxx.  But my gut
feeling says me that this will take at least a year or so until this
might happen.

I wouldn't guess. You guys know better.
My first thought was that we should provide instructions for
avrtest and simulavr users explaining how to translate
the options.  You all made it sound like there would be this
huge effort to change test scripts so I thought a wrapper
script would be easier. :)

address@hidden        On-Line Applications Research
  Support Available             (256) 722-9985