RE: [Simulavr-devel] avrtest and simulavr vs simulavrxx

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [Simulavr-devel] avrtest and simulavr vs simulavrxx
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:11:58 -0600

At this point, I think the only regular user of the old simulavr is the
avr-libc regression tests. Since we control the scripts that run it, we can
change it as necessary.

I have not heard of the old simulavr being used widely in the field. I don't
think we have to worry so much about backwards compatibility that it should
hamper us from doing what's right.

If simulavrxx is going to be developed to the point that it will subsume the
old simulavr and avrtest, then I would like to change the name of it to just
plain "simulavr" to avoid confusion. The "xx" part was just to show that it is
developed in a C++ code base, but that doesn't matter to our end users. I would
also like to see a release version of 1.0 *even if it's not perfect*.