Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulator performance

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulator performance
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:16:03 -0500

Weddington, Eric wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Sherrill [mailto:address@hidden Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:55 PM
To: Weddington, Eric
Cc: address@hidden

I have created an issue as a starting point
on the performance investigation.  I managed
to get the standard Net drystone code to compile
for atmega128 but don't know how to run it.  How
does one configure the simulator to get avr-libc
stdio to go to the console?
What console? ;-)

Something I can see?  /dev/stdout?

Sorry console is a word with meaning in the RTEMS
community.  It is from the old school UNIX /dev/console.

Umm. We don't have /dev/anything.

One creates their own putchar/getchar functions and associates them with a
particular stream. That way you can read/write to a UART, or write to an LCD,
or whatever peripheral comes to mind that can accept some sort of I/O. There's
just no basic assumption that any particular I/O device exists on an AVR.
Hmm.. so putchar/getchar are empty stubs by default and printf is
eating the characters?

So simple wrappers for the magic read char, write char,
and exit devices would be appropriate?

In RTEMS terms, this would be a crude BSP. :-D

--joel

address@hidden        On-Line Applications Research
  Support Available             (256) 722-9985