Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulator performance

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulator performance
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:18:14 -0500

Weddington, Eric wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Kuethe [mailto:address@hidden Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:10 PM
To: Joel Sherrill
Cc: Weddington, Eric; address@hidden

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Joel Sherrill
<address@hidden> wrote:
Something I can see?  /dev/stdout?

Sorry console is a word with meaning in the RTEMS
community.  It is from the old school UNIX /dev/console.
Like Eric said... "what console?"

There are examples in the avr-libc docs on how to set up something
that looks like stdio to use some variant of printf(). or you could
just write bytes to the USART yourself. But you're programming
basically on bare metal, you don't have all the luxury frills that an
OS provides...  (unless you're writing the OS)

Well, to be fair, Joel has done that:
<http://rtems.org/>

<blush> thanks for the plug.

<hint> we need context switch code to help finish the AVR port. :)
The problem (AIUI) is that RTEMS is used to running on Newlib, which provides a
POSIX environment/library. Avr-libc does not.
Right but this time I am just doing simple bare metal
with avr-libc.  I am so used to how newlib does it that
I have to be retrained. :)

address@hidden        On-Line Applications Research
  Support Available             (256) 722-9985