sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Displaying user images on index page

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Displaying user images on index page
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:55:13 -0500

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:25:00PM +0100, Thomas Sjögren wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:47:13AM -0500, Yaron M. Minsky wrote:
> > I actually no longer think this feature is such a great idea.  It was
> > pointed out to me privately that it could give, erm, unsavory types a
> > place to store images for public consumption.
>
> I think the usage of key servers as a gallery or dump spot for
> unappropriate images isnt such a big issue, kind of the discussion
> of spammers using key server for harvesting email adressess.
> Besides that, images are accepted in public keys as a means of
> identification and is in the standard so is see no point of not
> displaying them.

They are in the standard, yes, but in the standard there is no way for
an attacker to add a photo to your key against your will.  Given the
current keyserver design, this is trivially done on a keyserver.

To be sure, the bogus photo will disappear as soon as the key is
imported into PGP or GnuPG, but if the keyserver displays photos...

David