Re: positioning windows

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: positioning windows
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 14:51:18 MST

>Quick dumb question:  how do you position the Swarm windows?  As in,
>my display goes in that corner, control menu this corner, etc.  Does
>it use an app-defaults file setting *geometry thingies, and if so,
>what application name does it go by/how do you set it?

Swarm windows don't request any positioning at all. The just tell the
X server how big they want to be, and it's up to your window manager
to decide where to place them. It's possible that Tk has hidden inside
it some sort of app-defaults support for placing windows, and if it
does then the application name is probably Swarm. I don't think that
exists, though, and if it does then I don't know about it.

It is possible within Tk to explicitly tell the window manager where
to place a window. I've never much cared for code like that, since
most of the time the application's choices are wrong, and about half
the time it doesn't work. If there's enough demand for it I could put
in a command alongside the new setTitle: command on widgets. You could
also try it out yourself by executing a Tcl "wm" command.

Btw, if you use fvwm then it does a nice job of placing widgets for
you. If there's room to fit it in it will just place it so that it
doesn't overlap, otherwise it puts it down semi-randomly. I like it
when my software is smarter than I am.

>Sorry, my eyes glaze over on X sometimes.

This is a sign that you're still healthy. When X makes sense to you,
begin to worry.