Re: Set_c createEnd problem

From: Bohdan Durnota
Subject: Re: Set_c createEnd problem
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 11:28:42 +1100 (EST)

> > It all seems that Set is not being found.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> The code should actually be:
>
> > >   id  aSet;
> > >
> > >   aSet = [Set createBegin: [self getZone]];
> > >   aSet = [aSet createEnd];   // aSet could be a new id, in some versions
>
> Since "Set" is just a "factory object" to create an instance, we don't publish
> a specific class name, since there's no guarantee that it is a specific class.
> You should just use the generic id type instead.  You shouldn't need to access
> any internal instance variables anyway, since there's no published guarantee
> of the class(es) that implement the behavior of the Set type (and upcoming
> library versions will definitely see some change there).
>
> Hope this finally gets everything right for you.
>
> Roger

Roger,

Thanks for the advice. I actually figured this out after I sent my request.
I suppose my concerns come from a stronger type-checking tradition to keep
control over the types of objects being declared and passed around. However,
I can live with the softer Objective-C/Swarm approach.

Thanks for the help, Bohdan

PS: An observation: after creating aSet, we get that

        [[aSet class] name] is Set_c