Re: swarm docs: minor problem. PS?

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: swarm docs: minor problem. PS?
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 11:36:34 -0600

At 10:00 AM 2/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> hi glen,
>> On the swarmdocs/src/random.html page, under
>> Documentation section, there is in the first sentence
>>   Library Interface Conventions
>> that brings up an error that says
>>   swarmdocs/src/defobj/library.html
>> is missing (and if I look there, it is).
>>
>> BTW, there was once talk of distributing all the docs
>> in PS form with the distribution (and I see the readme or
>> something mentions mutliple formats for docs).
>> Is there any chance those PS files will be forthcoming soon?
>
>(I'm sending this to the entire list because it's an important
>question.)
>
>The postscript (or any other version other than html) of the
>docs will come *after* we organize a Swarm Manual, proper.
>I'm not sure how we'll do this (SGML-tools or Latex); but,
>I think it would be a bit silly to do all the work necessary
>to convert all our html to sgml or latex just to get a postscript
>version.  Now, that said, does anyone know of a tool for
>converting html to postscript (other than using a browser on
>each and every link)?
>
>As far as time frame, I can't say.  We do realize that Swarm
>needs a Manual and have already begun thinking about what to
>do about it.  But, I don't know when it'll happen.
>
>glen

I'd like to add my $.02 to this one: pleasepleaseplease give us a way to
print all the documentation in one go! While html hypertext is wonderful
for pursuing single topics, it's damn hard to be sure you have actually
printed out all the info that's available when you literally have to visit
every page and look for links.

Also, I've yet to meet a browser that didn't print half a line on the
bottom of a page and the rest on the next page ... very irritating!

Finally, I'm one of those people who likes to go to bed with a good manual
[never mind how my wife feels about that!] and a comprehensive doc would be
nice -- my bed's not online yet :-)

That said, a loud GOOD JOB and pat-on-the-back to the swarm team for 1.0 !

--Sven