New Swarm Automatic FAQ. Please try it out!

From: pauljohn
Subject: New Swarm Automatic FAQ. Please try it out!
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:01:26 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Everybody:

  On my linux box, there is a new "online Swarm FAQ" that you can
  read and add stuff to.  Please check it out:

  http://valinux.pols.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq.html

This is an automagical document. You can read, if you want you can add
stuff to it. It is now bare bones, but if I get an encouraging feedback,
I will migrate most FAQ stuff to this format for ease of maintenance. IT
automatically builds the html and indexes it, saving tons of time. (If
things go right, that is.)  My first priority is going to be inputting
some new HOW TO PROGRAM SWARM material that I've collected with
conversations with some prominent swarm users.

At this moment, the document is open, so anyone can add stuff.  If there
is trouble, I will be forced to issue passwords for people who register.

Well, hope this is fun! Let me know if you like it.

Paul Johnson

Background
  At Swarmfest, Scott Christley told me there were such things as
  "faq-o-matics" that allow people to browse a web page and add content
  to it.  After returning home, I learned that Faq-o-matic is a "brand"
  name and that there are several automatic FAQ building programs.
  Faq-o-matic is probably the easiest to administer, most secure
  program, but its output is not, well, easy to read and some parts of
  inputting material are counterintuitive.

  I considered a python tool called faqwiz, but some little bug in its
  cgi script was not solvable within a finite period of time. So I
  settled on the program Faq_Manager-2.0, which was just released the
  day I started my research on automatic FAQ software.  It produces a
  clean HTML document and it is relatively easy to operate. On the
  minus side,it lacks some features,such as the automatic attribution
  of material to the email address of the author.

--
Paul E. Johnson                           address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science                Office: (913) 864-9086