Irix 6.3: Swarm-1.1 finally works!

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Irix 6.3: Swarm-1.1 finally works!
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:21:47 -0700

Y'all,

Just to break the tedium of stories of problems with installation, I'd
like end the week on a happy note: I now have Swarm-1.1 installed on an
O2 w/ Irix 6.3 and have had success in compiling and running heatbugs
and the simpleBug tutorial apps from beginning to end.

There are still some funny warning messages coming from GCC while
compiling and linking, but the darn thing works.

Before I forget few random notes on compiling and installing the needed
software:
+  Use the install notes for GCC 2.8.1 for Irix 6.3 found at
            http://www-it.et.tudelft.nl/~erik/gcc/
However the author failed to note that there are error messages given
when you "make stage1"  and "make stage2" - we disregarded those and
were able to install GCC without any further problems.

+ Tk/Tcl 8.1a2 are a breeze to install. I don't think that there were
any problems there.

+ Blt8.0-unoff is really, really flaky, I needed to hack both the
Makefiles generated by configure and source code (in bltGrPs.c:813 threw
in an arbitrary point size for PS fonts and in bltButton.c:113 set a
parameter to a constant)

+ tclobjc-1.3 compiled without any problems if I remember correctly

+ I'm using ffcall (not in the needed-software library at SFI alas, but
provided by Marcus), I think it compiled without any major problems, but
libffi-1.17 was pretty difficult to deal with, although I managed to
compile it in the end. Now that Swarm is working I don't want to jinx it
by going back to see if it will work with the ffi library.

After proper editing of the Makefile, the Swarm libraries all compile
without any problems or error messages.

-Benedikt