Re: subdividing simulation time

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: subdividing simulation time
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:19:12 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Geoffrey Schultz wrote:

> Has anyone implemented subdivision of simulation time within their
> project?  If so, I'd really appreciate some advice (or better, some code).
> The grid turtles example (mousetraps2) which is supposed to do this,
> compiles but causes a seg fault when run on my archive linux installation
> (using 1.05).

Hi,

this may or may not be relevant, depending on how sophisticated a
subdivision you need, but I use a simple substepping loop within a subpart
of the simulation BacSim. This only concerns the bacteria agent and the
diffusion class, not a whole-model subdivision. This loop runs a variable
number of substeps per model-world-step. There are also cases where I use
simply counters in the agent to clock future events (cell division).

If that serves your need, let me know. There is a tarball of the source
code if you want to have a look, but I'm afraid it needs a lot of
explanation which has so far been subject to the only-if-needed guidelines
;-)

http://www.eeb.yale.edu/ginger/bacillus

Hope that helps,

Jan.

Jan Kreft                               Phone +44 1222 874000 ext. 6036
School of Pure and Applied Biology      Fax   +44 1222 874305
Cardiff University                      E-mail address@hidden
PO Box 915, Cardiff CF1 3TL, UK