Re: using selectors

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: using selectors
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:15:10 -0500 (CDT)

I've battled long and hard with this problem and lots of peoples
ideas about it are discussed in the online faq.
http://valinux.pols.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq.html

It even has Benedikt's swarm meditation exercise, which I
use all the time.  Look for the headings "complaining about
M:()" and stuff like that

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> JM> [alleleGraph createSequence: "Total population" withFeedFrom:
> JM> [epdSwarm getWorld] andSelector: M(getWorldPopulation)];
>
> The signature of a method with an argument would look like this:
>
>    getWorldPopulationFor:
>
> to get that selector these are equivalent:
>
>    M(getWorldPopulationFor:)
>    @selector(getWorldPopulationFor:)
>
> Unfortunately, as it is now, the message probe (i.e. ActiveGraph) that ends
> up getting used is created internally in EZGraph, and not accessible for
> frobbing the arguments.
>
> JM> now I need to know how to pass a parameter along with the message
> JM> (an integer in my case).
>
> What is the purpose of the integer?

Paul E. Johnson                      address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700