Handling equations as objects

From: Jayshree Sarma
Subject: Handling equations as objects
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 18:19:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I need some help/ideas.  Here is a description of what I am trying to do:

There are 10 consumers and 15 producers and one product that is being
traded.  Each consumer has an equation (the equation is different for
each consumer) to calculate the demand for the product, and the
producers have another set of equations to calculate their intended
supply of the product for each time period.

The problem I have is that equations change and the terms in the
equation can either increase or decrease.  Hard coding the equation in
the program means that I have to change the code every time I run the
simulation.  I would like to define equation as an object and have
equations for each consumer/producer read in from a file at the start
of the simulation.

Has anyone in the hive community done something like this?

Any thoughts/code would be greatly appreciated.  I am using swarm
1.0.5.

Thanks,

Jayshree