Re: Handling equations as objects

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Handling equations as objects
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:36:54 -0500 (CDT)

I read Benedikt's answer to this one and thought "what the heck?"  From
studying his answer, I realize I probably did not  even understand Jayshree's
question.  Since I'm interested in this  topic, maybe I can ask about
the original question for some more information.

Please tell me this.  You say the equation can change.  Can you give
me an idea of how it changes?  You seem to imply there is a formula
f(a,b,c) in which a,b,and c change.  You don't say the functional form
changes, but if it does, how so?

I think it would be possible (easy?) to have an "experiment.setup" file
for each agent that they use for values of coefficients to start. Just
load them up as in Heatbugs batch mode, except instead of having the
Batch swarm tell the model swarm to get its values, you could have the
batch swarm tell each individual agent to get its values from experiment1.setup
or experiment2.setup or whatever.  I think any change in coefficients
can be handled this way. If the functional form possibilities can be
listed, you could add a parameter for choice of function.

Since Benedikt made such a complicated answer to this question, I'm still
thinking I dont understand the question, so can you tell me some more?

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Jayshree Sarma wrote:
> The problem I have is that equations change and the terms in the
> equation can either increase or decrease.  Hard coding the equation in
> the program means that I have to change the code every time I run the
> simulation.  I would like to define equation as an object and have
> equations for each consumer/producer read in from a file at the start
> of the simulation.

Paul E. Johnson                      address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700