Re: Handling equations as objects

From: Jayshree Sarma
Subject: Re: Handling equations as objects
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:10:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I read Benedikt's answer to this one and thought "what the heck?"  From
> studying his answer, I realize I probably did not  even understand Jayshree's
> question.  Since I'm interested in this  topic, maybe I can ask about
> the original question for some more information.
>
> Please tell me this.  You say the equation can change.  Can you give
> me an idea of how it changes?  You seem to imply there is a formula
> f(a,b,c) in which a,b,and c change.  You don't say the functional form
> changes, but if it does, how so?

Yes, the functional form of the equation can change.  Also
the number of terms in the equation can increase/decrease. The
values of the parameters/coefficients can also change.

> I think it would be possible (easy?) to have an "experiment.setup" file
> for each agent that they use for values of coefficients to start. Just
> load them up as in Heatbugs batch mode, except instead of having the
> Batch swarm tell the model swarm to get its values, you could have the
> batch swarm tell each individual agent to get its values from
> experiment1.setup
> or experiment2.setup or whatever.  I think any change in coefficients
> can be handled this way. If the functional form possibilities can be
> listed, you could add a parameter for choice of function.

Right now I have the values of the coefficients in the files
"consumer-name.setup" which is read in.  So changes in the values of the
coefficients is not a problem.   But when the equation is changed I
have to edit the code and recompile and then run the simulation.

> Since Benedikt made such a complicated answer to this question, I'm still
> thinking I dont understand the question, so can you tell me some more?

Benedikt's solution will definitly help the handling of changing
equations but it is a bit complex. I was looking for a simpler solution.

Hope the answers help,

Jayshree