Re: problem making swarm 1.4 under redhat 5.2

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: Re: problem making swarm 1.4 under redhat 5.2
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:01:19 -0500 (EST)

Just to add some context to all of this:

As Alex says, egcs-1.0.3a is the standard C/C++/ObjC compiler for RedHat,
for all platforms except x86. On x86, the gcc-2.7.2.3 C compiler (not C++
or ObjC) is *also* installed and is linked by default to /usr/bin/gcc.  My
understanding is that this is because the linux 2.0.x kernels use code
constructs that happen to work under gcc 2.7.x but not under egcs.  The
linux 2.1.x and 2.2.x kernels (2.2.1 is out! :) don't have this problem.
So it seems likely that egcs will be used as the default compiler for
C/C++/ObjC on all platforms for RedHat sometime soon, from the comments
I've read in the egcs RPM spec files.

If you're using only C, gcc 2.7.2.3 is considered stable.  If you're using
C++, egcs 1.1.1 is much closer to the ISO/ANSI standard, and quite stable.
I don't use Obj C much anymore, but I would imagine egcs is just as stable
for Obj C. I personally don't see any reason to use gcc 2.8.x, unless you
run into problems with gcc 2.7.2.3 or egcs. Many of the top gcc2
developers, including the former maintainer of g++, have moved over to
egcs; the "experimental" in egcs is a bit of a misnomer.
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                               address@hidden
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems