R package on IRIX 6.5

From: Jayshree Sarma
Subject: R package on IRIX 6.5
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:47:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am trying to install the R package (R-devel-sfi-1999-02-09)
on IRIX 6.5 machine.

As per the porting notes, on sgi-irix machines the preferred
combination is "cc-f77".  So I used the cc that comes with the
sgi machines.  But the problem is when it checks for hdf5 it
comes back with a "no" even though hdf5 is installed.

>From the trace of running configure:

checking for main in -lhdf5... no
checking for hdf5.h... no

I have also installed egcs-1.1.1 and when I use gcc instead of
cc, I get the following from the trace of running configure:

checking for main in -lhdf5... yes
checking for hdf5.h... no

The hdf5.h file is in /usr/local/include directory. Both times the
check for hdf5.h comes back with a no while the check for -lhdf5
is yes with gcc and no with cc.  In both cases the prefix is set
specifically to /usr/local.

I would like to know if I can proceed with the make, test and install
even though hdf5.h is not found.  If it is necessary how does one force
the configure script to look for hdf5 in the right directory?

As a side note: What is the difference between the R version in CRAN
site and R-devel-sfi-1999-02-09 version?

Thanks,

Jayshree