Re: 1999 Swarm survey results: available online [extra bonus

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: 1999 Swarm survey results: available online [extra bonus question!]
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:21:59 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> LRA> But if an industry research institute pays me to build a modeling
> LRA> system, they may not want members of the industry that didn't pay
> LRA> their research dues to have easy access to the modeling system.
>
> In the GPL model, what I think we'd need to do in that case is work
> out a licensing arrangement whereby the GPL or the LGPL didn't apply.
> [Of course, the Swarm Advisory Board9 has *not* decided that this is what
> we want to do, so we haven't hashed out what kind of alternative terms
> might be appropriate.  The more input we get from the user community,
> the easier it will be to think about future organizational structures
> for the Swarm project.]

This is an important point for me and I don't feel I fully understand it.
If I choose to distribute my model, do I have to distribute it to everyone
or can I give it only to one party (poss the one that payed me)? Are they
then free to decide whether to distribute it further? If so, they could
choose to buy the model from me and not distribute it further. That should
satisfy industry and GPL wouldn't cause a problem.

Apart from this open question, I'm happy if Swarm moves to the GPL.

Jan.