Re: 1999 Swarm survey results: available online [extra bonus question!]

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: 1999 Swarm survey results: available online [extra bonus question!]
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 07:56:57 -0400 (EDT)

Marcus,

These seem like strong arguments for going to the GPL.

You might want to directly ask some of the non-academic users
of Swarm (or potential users who came to SwarmFest99, or are
on the various mailing lists) to see what they think.
(By directly I mean sending them messages directly, since
they might not notice the request you sent below.)

If I understand it (and I'm sure I don't understand it all...),
point (5) below means that if a private company uses Swarm
to develop a system/model for in-company use, i.e., doesn't try
to sell it, then they can keep their model private.
Is that right?
If so, that probably covers the concerns of most private
companies who are interested in Swarm...at least it would
for the private companies I have helped develop Swarm models.

But as I say, you might spend a little time to directly
ask them, to be sure to get their thoughts on this before
making the change.   While Swarm may survive ok under
the GPL, if that drives off non-academic users I think
Swarm will have a much more difficult time surviving.

- r

ps sorry for sending this to two lists:  that's what
   reply-to came up with, and it wasn't clear to me
   where you wanted this conversation to take place.

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html