Re: Dancing rabbits hawking toilet paper (was Re: Big Leak, Titanic goi

From: jalex
Subject: Re: Dancing rabbits hawking toilet paper (was Re: Big Leak, Titanic going down again!)
Date: 29 Feb 2000 08:38:22 -0800

Dawn Trembath <address@hidden> writes:

> OK - so where does one go to find out more about CVS?  Things like: What
> exactly is it?  How does one use it?

Standard linux distributions often include RCS, another source-control
system.  Do a "man rcs" to see if you have it installed on your
system, and "man ci" or "man co" to read about the most commonly used
commands ("check in" and "check out", respectively).  CVS, from what
I've heard, is a system that's ideal for projects having a large code
base with many users contributing.  Although rcs is older and
purportedly simpler, it's sufficient for my needs.  It's integrated
with an out-of-the-box Emacs (as is, I believe, CVS) so it's pretty
easy to use.  Last, there's an O'Reilly book in case you want to know
more: _Applying RCS and SCCS_, by Don Bolinger and Tan Bronson.

Jason

--
Jason Alexander
Logic & Philosophy of Science      email:       address@hidden