Re: Linux to MacOSX port effort.

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Linux to MacOSX port effort.
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:32:04 -0500

As usual, I don't know for sure, but have some info that might help.

1) I believe that if you build a stock gcc3, without patching, it will still be possible to build swarm if you make one small patch in the swarm source code. This small patch is the one that turns off the accelerating effect of one particular change in Swarm. Until recently, the swarm source was set so it would compile with a standard compiler, and this was the patch I applied to use the acceleration. I believe you would just reverse this patch and Swarm will compile with standard gcc3. I SUSPECT (GUESS, hope, dream,wish) the same would be true with gcc-3.1.

*** interface.el-original       Sun Jul  8 19:22:33 2001
--- interface.el        Sun Jul  8 19:22:56 2001
***************
*** 625,631 ****

  (defun create-dispatch-hash-table (protocol phase)
    (let ((ht (make-hash-table)))
!     ;(load-dispatch-hash-table protocol phase ht)
      ht))

  (defun c-objc-type (type)
--- 625,631 ----

  (defun create-dispatch-hash-table (protocol phase)
    (let ((ht (make-hash-table)))
!     (load-dispatch-hash-table protocol phase ht)
      ht))

  (defun c-objc-type (type)

Remember, you want to undo the effect of this patch, as the Swarm source has already had it applied.

2. With gcc3, the Swarm users will still see many harmless complier warnings, the ones described in the SwarmFaq, but those warnings are harmless.

So, if you are pushing on this hard to find out if it will work at all, I think you should build gcc3.1 as it is and then see what happens.

3. Marcus Daniels was the one who made the gcc patch that solved the problems described in #1 and #2. He has found ways to make essentially the same patch for gcc since 2.95. I expect as soon as he needs to use gcc-3.1 in his work, then he will share an update with us.

At one point, I was trying to edit the gcc code because the patch I had from MGD was not for the then-current gcc, and to me it was very confusing, but I think one time I actually did get it to work. But it took about 8 trys of matching up code fragments in the patch.

Last year, I emailed the patch to the person who was listed as the gcc-objc maintainer and asked he consider it, but since I'm not the author and did not offer to support those changes, he probably did not pay much attention to it. Rightly so, I expect.

Marc-Antoine Parent wrote:
a) We are dealing with gcc3.1. The Objective C core compiler is normally patched for swarm; and the patch (designed for 3.0) changes lines that have changed between gcc3.0 and 3.1. Has anybody re-examined how to upgrade the patch code to gcc3.1? Is it even still necessary? (Did somebody propose that patch to Gnu?)